Saturday, March 1, 2008

To Boston, with love!

After a week spent wrecking havoc on the city of Boston, I had come to many conclusions about that city and the people that inhabit it. Some of these things I had already been privy to and some I was just finding out. Now, I don't want any of you Boston or Massachusetts residents to get all in a tizzy about anything, it's all in love. You know, how do you say... To Boston with love!

  • Worst Drivers in America: You hear horror stories about the roads in Jersey and people may feel the need to put on a pair of Depends to drive in New York City, but let me tell you lovely folks... there is nothing worse than a Massachusian behind the wheel. Best word to describe their wreck less driving style: OBLIVIOUS. Never in my life have I seen people just weasel their way into an intersection to just sit and wait, holding up traffic - mind you, hoping and praying someone will let them in. They change lanes without any care in the world - using no signal and not changing quickly, but slowly meandering into your lane. Jersey and New York drivers actual go about things in a quick manner and with purpose. I felt like I was on the roads surrounded by hundreds of retired Florida residents in their Buick's.
  • They believe they are on the payroll: It's nearly impossible to talk sports with these people. They make highly educated statements like "Yankees Suck", "The Yankees haven't won anything". While we did come across few fans who would be reasonable, they sure were few and far between. Listen, you love the Red Sox - I get it. In fact, I don't think I could possibly get it more... I feel the same way about the Yankees. However, you would not hear me saying such idiotic things about your beloved team because you know what? The Red Sox do not suck. They haven't truly sucked in many years. Teams that "suck" do not make the playoffs on a consistent basis. If the Yankees "suck" I would love to hear what you have to say about the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Don't take it to heart that I do not share the same love for your team as you do - agree to disagree and let's have a light-hearted baseball talk. Without the rivalry would baseball really be even half as interesting? No, didn't think so! Worry more about your own team, bask in their two World Series victories in the last four years and worry less about how bad the Yankees "suck" and how they have not won anything. You'll sleep better at night, I promise. Hank Steinbrenner spoke oh-so-beautifully about Red Sox Nation just today and I dig that about him.
  • Lots of Men: Here's where the city gets a point in it's favor. We were out almost every single night I was there - or we made a valiant effort anyway and my god... there is surely no shortage of men. Of course there are the less than desirables but there is something about Boston men. They are rugged, All-American types that you can definitely take home to mom. This city is loaded with yummy eye-candy. For that I salute you, Boston!
  • The lady's fashion-sense is about 10-years behind: I mean I totally dig the ribbed, Old Navy sweaters... on my mother. I'm not talking every lady in the city, but the foxy ones seemed to be few and far between. I remember someone making this very same observation when we were in Boston for the numerous baseball games we attended last season, but seriously girls. The tapered jeans, the hair scrunchies, the mock turtlenecks... horrific. I mean I don't really consider myself much of a fashionista, but it was very empowering when the two of us made other women uncomfortable just by our sheer presence in a room. If looks could kill, we'd certainly both be dead right about now.

I am sure there are many things I am leaving off this list - but you get the general idea. I had a blast in Boston, it's by far my 2nd favorite city in the country (after New York City - of course) and I plan on visiting quite often... maybe Danny Wegman will hear our cries and open a store there so I can relocate - that would be glorious! I had my first day back at work today and it felt good to hear everyone ask where I had been or how my trip was, always lovely to feel missed! Hard at work tonight, I was blown away by how adorable Nicole Richie's little girl is. Speaking of little girls... how is Cynthia Rodriguez not due to give birth to the newest Baby-Rod until April? Poor woman looks like she is about to bust at the seams. On second thought... she does get to fornicate with Alex, so maybe I don't feel so bad for her after all.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Brenda! I enjoy reading your blogtastic blogginess. I also enjoy Boston. I was there for a day, once, and while I was there, I had one of the best dinners I have ever had in my entire life. Mmmm, seafood.